Friday, May 9, 2008

Idolatry

"With idols we can choose our own sacrifices, write our own story, and decide our own destiny....Faith is the opposite. It demands that we hand over control to God, and we are fearful of this disorientation, of being turned inside out and upside down. That is why idols are seductive; they give the illusion of choice, of control." James Houston, The Heart's Desire

Are we guilty of choosing our sacrifices, trying to write our own stories. Are we stiving after our own dream or desired destiny? Why are we striving? The Lord says, quietly, "be still, and know that I am God." Are we to loud to hear him? Are we listening? Are we too busy doing that we don't have time to be with God? Sit and rest. Listen and Wait. Soak up the Presence of God. Quiet. He is near if we will just give him the space in our heart, mind....in our day. What could be more important that it distracts us from the most important One? What idol am I sacrificing to today? I need turn around and bow at the proper feet, bringing the sacrifices he desires; the sacrifices of a broken and contrite heart he will not despise. My heart is broken over my diversions and distrations and false loves; let it bring me to my knees and send me to focus on BEING rather than being driven.

No comments:

Post a Comment