Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Drive-in; "Prince Caspian"

Last night I got to enjoy a pleasant 95 degree Arizona evening under the stars at the Drive-in with my kiddos. We went for Prince Caspian at 8:05. It didn't start until about 8:30 and Jonah was asleep during the previews. Amberly made it through half of it or so, then conked out. So, that left Benjamin and me to contemplate Disney's rendition of C.S. Lewis' classic. I enjoyed the movie very much, and want to see it again. I got questions during the film like, "Do airplanes scratch the stars, Mom?" and "What's that shiny stick over there?" (It was a flagpole that was illuminated by some light). Anyway, it was definitely worth going and seeing.
Through Sunday School this morning I kept flashing back to scenes in the movie where Aslan (the God-figure) was mentioned......The kings and queens of Narnia (all played by young teens) had decided that they had "waited for Aslan long enough," and decided to take matters into their own hands. They lost the battle when they forgot they needed God's help in order to win. Isn't that just like us? We don't figure it out that we need God until we've really messed something up again?
During the movie, I kept thinking of the verse Psalm 20:7 "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God."
In the film, the youngest sister Lucy senses (God's) presence, and is led to follow, but her brothers and sisters hesitate. She is the only one who has true faith, all of the others have lost hope in God and have decided that He is not around anymore. Later in the movie, The Great Lion asks Lucy why she did not call for Him and come to Him sooner, and I believe she said something like she didn't want to leave the others, or they didn't believe her so she didn't pursue Him.....Again, I am reminded by the Bible passage where the Israelites did not enter the promised land because they listened to faithless men (Numbers 13:31-32).
I walked, um, I mean drove, away from the movie asking good questions, like: "Am I following the Lord when I sense His presence and leading, or am I listening to the faithless around me?" and "Am I depending on God for strength in my daily battles or am I trying to succeed on my own strength?" and "Where am I placing my trust?"
So, see the movie. Hope I didn't give too much away!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment