Thursday, May 15, 2008

Favorite Friend

So I was going about my normal day of attending "volunteer appreciation" at my Kindergartner's school. Little did I know the test I was walking into. The teacher told the volunteers that this was a chance for the students to get to know us better. Okay.... And that they could ask us any question that they would like....Okay.....And we could say "pass" if we didn't want to answer....there ya go! Well, after answering a few innocuous questions like, what is my favorite color, restaurant, place to go, etc, I was struck with the question of my lifetime by a sweet unassuming six-year-old, "Jodi, who is your favorite friend?" Um, okay, I know the answer to this question in a heartbeat and it's on the tip of my tongue, but I stall, wondering, "are these kindergartners and their volunteer moms and their teachers ready for my answer?" So I told them. JESUS. He is my favorite friend. He is the only one that can be with me all the time, wherever I go. We moved right on to the next questions, my answer being perfectly normal to me, my sons and maybe another soul or two in the room. But I walked away from there thinking, that was important. That was transformational, that was my opportunity to shine for Jesus and let those few in that classroom know who my Favorite Friend is, and who could be their Favorite Friend too. I pray for more opportunities like that to "hide it under a bush, OH NO! I'm gonna let it shine." Shine for Jesus, sweet soul, and let the world and their children think what they will!

No comments:

Post a Comment