Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love Number two

I forgot to go back to the ball of wax and the can of worms. This is how I see the movie affecting those who watch it. I don't think we can watch this movie without putting ourselves and our lives into the picture. Our lives could be parallel to hers, or entirely different. We might see ourselves in some things that she thinks or says or does. Or we might remember being in an emotional place similar to hers. On some level, we engage in the process of her journey. We bounce back and forth from her reality to our own. It was almost distracting how often my thoughts drifted away from what was "happening" in the movie, to what was happening in me, my life, in real time. I remember thinking in the middle of the film that I will have to see it again, I have missed much. But I think the richest part of the experience was processing her journey on a personal level. Reflecting on my youth, my passions, my dreams, my marriage, my family, and yes, my relationship with GOD.
However, I think this movie could be dangerous for some women who are in a hurting place emotionally and are looking for any role model on how to get through life. The answers offered in the movie are not in agreement with biblical Christianity.
The Bible calls the sinner to repent.
The Bible tells us to have no other gods.
The Bible points us to Jesus. Always. Only.
The Bible is the source of all truth. It is God's revealed word.
Jesus is the living word of God.
There is no truth apart from God's truth. God's truth is seen in creation, in scripture, and in Christ incarnate. And then his truth abides in us, if we abide in Him.
We can't create our own truth. All of our reality is in the hands of God. We can acknowledge that, or not. That decision makes all the difference.

1 comment:

  1. Jodi, this is beautiful. I affirm you in your conviction (not that you need me to :) It reminds me of the wonderful joy and privilege it was when I had the girls home. I wouldn't change a minute of it. I'm sure your words were encouraging to your friend. They were to me! Love you!

    ReplyDelete